Friday, December 23, 2011

I Want a Baby Elephant for Christmas

I hope you'll enjoy this poem written by my husband, John.

(written in the style of "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas*")

I want a baby elephant for Christmas
Only a baby elephant will do
Don’t want no Angry Birds, no mittens for the snow
I want a baby elephant so I can watch him grow

I want baby elephant for Christmas
Santa knows exactly what to do
The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust has lots of babies there
Knowing that they need my help is more than I can bear

Won’t you adopt an elephant for Christmas?
I’d really like to get one in my name
No need to get him dirty, going down the chimney flue
Just leave him there in Kenya, that’s the best thing you can do

I can hardly wait for Christmas morning
As soon as I log on my email dings
Oh, can you see the joy when I get what I want
A profile and a photo of my orphan elephant

I want a baby elephant for Christmas
Only a baby elephant will do
There’s new orphan elephants who need a home today
Pick one for you and one for me and foster them, I say

This is going to be the greatest Christmas
I won’t be getting junk bought on a whim
I’ll have a year of fostering my elephant
And knowing that he needs me to help him

Is there someone in your life who would like a baby elephant for Christmas? It's not too late to make it happen. Your fostering certificate and information packet will be sent to the recipient by email. All monthly updates as well as lovely watercolor paintings of the orphans are also sent by email. Visit the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust to choose an elephant and make your contribution.

*“I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas” was written by John Rox and performed by Gayla Peevey in 1953. This song was responsible for getting an actual hippopotamus donated to the Oklahoma City zoo. Perhaps our little parody will help deserving orphan elephants get fostered for Christmas, and all year long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elephants need all of us to care and help them. What are your thoughts after reading this post? Give us a rumble: